ISMS’ 2023 Legislative Wins for Illinois Physicians!
June 30, 2023
The 2023 Illinois spring legislative session was the first full session since the COVID public health emergency was declared in early 2020. During the term, your hard-working governmental affairs team secured a number of wins for Illinois physicians:
- Changed Illinois’ surprise billing law to better assist physicians and medical groups
- Advocated for changes in our CME timelines
- Secured exemptions to new e-prescribing mandate
- Increased Medicaid reimbursements paid to physicians
- Successfully shepherded through rules to fully implement and enforce the Network Adequacy and Transparency Act, which had been passed in 2017
- Scope of practice bills
- Additional continuing medical education (CME) mandates
- A plaintiff’s bar initiative with negative consequences for medicine
- Efforts to target and criminalize mandated reporters of child abuse
For a complete wrap-up, access our 2023 End-of-Session Legislative Report.
ISMS’ work to effect positive changes for Illinois physicians and their patients continues as preparations are now underway for the fall veto session and the 2024 spring legislative session.
If you have questions, please contact ISMS Senior Vice President of State Legislative Affairs Erin O'Brien by email.