Safe Prescription Disposal Resources for Patients
The nation’s ongoing opioid epidemic proves that addiction, overdose or both can be as close as the medicine cabinet of a family member or friend.
After all, one third of all U.S. prescriptions go unused each year.
ISMS offers these resources for physicians and their practice teams to share with patients so unused prescription and over-the-counter medications can be disposed of safely:
Illinois State Police headquarters in Des Plaines, Elgin, Joliet, Collinsville, and LaSalle accept medications for disposal.
- ISMS has created these posts for members to share on their practice website or social media. To download the image, right click on the image and choose "Save image as...". To download the video, click on YouTube in the lower right corner of the video to open the Youtube page, then select the share button under the video.
- Issue Brief for physicians on disposal of unused medications
- Cook County MEDS Disposal Initiative offers information on how to properly dispose of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medication.
- ISMS Office Poster Promoting Naloxone Availability Without Prescription
- Drug Enforcement Administration – Office of Diversion Control
- Drug Enforcement Administration – Drug Disposal Information
- Code of Federal Regulations for Controlled Substances
- Food and Drug Administration – Disposal of Unused Medicines